cookies!

Two cookies always seem to jump in my cart at Whole Foods, the outstanding lemon knots and the addictive chocolate chewies.  Don't know how they get there and how they disappear so quickly once they get home.  I'm sorry, but I can not give up treats.  Don't care how much exercise I have to add in to balance them out.  Just give me a cookie, or real cake or if you really love me, fruit pie.

Picked up a newstand magazine last Sunday during our weekly post church run to Whole Foods:  Cooking Light's "Quick Baking".  I'm not generally a fan of lightened baked goods.  Possibly because I'm a good cook who almost never measures and that does not translate to a good baker.  Not measuring accurately and or substituting for what you have on hand can translate into rather sad baked goods.  But, I've tried two recipes and the second one will save me the money on those delicious chocolate chewies.

This recipe looks small, but it did easily yield two dozen cookies.

Here you go:

Chocolate Chewies

1 C all-purpose flours
1 1/4 C powdered sugar, divided
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp salt
5 1/4 tsp vegetable oil (I like Smart Balance)
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 tsp espresso granules
3/4 C packed brown sugar
3 T light Karo (corn) syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites

Combine flour, 3/4 C powdered sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.  Combine oil and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, cook until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly.  Add espresso granules to chocolate and stir until blended.  Remove pan from heat.  pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl.  Cool 5 minutes.  Stir in brown sugar, syrup  and vanilla.  Add egg whites, stirring in with a whisk.  Add flour in and stir gently until just combined.  Cover dough, and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place 1/2 C powdered sugar in a shallow bowl or dish.  Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll balls in powdered sugar to coat.  Place on baking sheets about 2-inches apart.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until tops are cracked and the cookies are almost set.  Remove from oven and cool on pan for 2 minutes until set.  Remove cookies from pan and place on a wire rack.

Makes two dozen cookies and if you are into that kind of thing, each cookie is about 100 calories with 2 grams of fat.  Respectable for a cookie.  Really, I'll make them again because they are really yummy.  Love the texture.  More substantial than a meringue, but still light feeling and wonderfully toothy.

my cookies minus the two I have already devoured

Comments

Popular Posts